We are currently working with an affiliate marketing company in the iGaming space whose vision is to empower better online decision-making for their users. They do this by creating industry-leading products based on honesty, integrity, and transparency.
The Position Summary
Forming part of one of their agile teams, the Full Stack PHP WordPress Developer owns the challenge of building and maintaining modern, innovative and high-performance websites which delight end users. The successful candidate will embody the company's core values of trust, transparency, accountability, and growth mindset.
This is a remote working, full-time position based in Malta, Spain or UK - or remote as a contractor from anywhere in Europe.
• Work collaboratively with a small, cross-functional agile team, actively participating and contributing to agile events as appropriate.
• Finds new ways to add value to the efforts of a team
• Support product discovery through the implementation of prototypes and similar techniques for fast, inexpensive learning.
• Support product delivery by building, testing, and releasing production quality WordPress websites utilizing best engineering practices.
• Write simple, clean, and secure PHP code, and SQL queries, with a focus on minimizing technical debt and complexity.
• Implement unit tests and other automated tests as appropriate.
• Refactor, optimize and improve existing code for better maintainability and scalability, and reduce technical debt in general.
• Develop and maintain clear and complete documentation.
• Test own work with a view to minimal work items being returned for defects to be fixed, while working closely with QA to ensure that any defects are promptly resolved.
• Provide operational support for applications and websites when so required
• Troubleshoot, identify root causes, and remediate complex technical issues.
What are we looking for?
• 2+ years previous experience in WordPress development with PHP, including WordPress theme and plugin development, creation of shortcodes, custom post types, and utilization of action hooks and filter hooks
• Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
• Motivated with a collaborative and growth mindset.
• Committed to a culture of growth, trust, transparency, and accountability.
• Well organized with superb attention to detail.
• Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle.
• Demonstrates strong enthusiasm for quality, and knowledge of what it takes to ship high-quality code.
• Dedicated to the speed of delivery without compromising quality.
• Equally comfortable developing both Backend and Frontend.
• Knowledge of Git or Git-based code repository systems.
• Knowledge of object-oriented programming, and best practices, in PHP; debugging, and profiling techniques.
Knowledge of ES6 and React JS fundamentals.
• Experience building native custom Gutenberg blocks
• Knowledge of SQL; experience on MySQL preferred.
• Comfortable both consuming and implementing RESTful APIs in PHP.
• Knowledge of PHP template engines such as Twig (preferred), Mustache, or Blade.
• Experience or knowledge in Node.js, Webpack, Composer, Yarn, WP-CLI; experience with Sage and Bedrock by Roots.io would be awesome.
• Able to optimize websites for high scores on Google PageSpeed Insights and Google Lighthouse.
• Demonstrates a mindset of “quality is everyone’s responsibility”.
• Experience writing unit tests in PHPUnit for WordPress or similar
• Experience troubleshooting complex production issues.